Other associated sexual identifiers:
- Ally (pronounced – ei-eye | ˈælaɪ) is not a sexual orientation or identifier, instead is an action or show of support. People that identify as an ally will typically be heterosexual and will show their support through their actions for members of the LGBTQIA+ community
- Sexual attraction or desire for the opposite gender or sex
- Heterosexual people are also known as straight
- The largest and most accepted sexual orientation or identifier in the world
- Heterosexuals make up the majority of the world’s population, anything from 85%-95% of the world’s population
- Though allies have existed for a long time, it was during the Stonewall Riots in 1969 that many heterosexual allies came out in support of the LGBTQIA+ community
- People are more likely to become an ally when someone close to them identifies as LGBTQIA+. According to sociologist Keith Edwards, there are three stages relating to becoming an ally; the first stage is rooted in self-interest (someone close to them identifying as LGBT), the second stage refers to altruism (helping to combat oppression), and the final stage relates to social justice (respect and the desire to create positive change for the oppressed)
- Straight allies not only help in raising awareness of important issues; however, they have also played a pivotal part in changing public perception and policies on critical LGBTQIA+ related issues
- Parents of LGBTQIA+ children created an organisation known as PFLAG (Parents, Families, and Friends of Lesbians and Gays) which has grown to over 400 chapters across the US
EXCEPTIONAL AND DIVERSE LGBTQIA+ COMMUNITY
LGBTQIA+ COUNTRY & REGION GUIDES
Learn more about this or other countries around the world. With over 234 country and 435 regional guides, Gayther guides provides you with all the information you need when planning your trip. From LGBTQIA+ equality to essential travel information, discover Gayther guides today
Click on the IOS or Android link to access the app
Click on the name of the resource visit the site
DISCOVER HOW WELL THE COMMUNITY ARE TREATED..
Gayther Affinity is a private platform for the LGBTQIA+ community and their friends. A space that gives you the freedom to be yourself, helping you communicate with and connect to people similar to yourself from around the world and from all age groups and backgrounds. Get involved with groups discussions, ask questions or quickly search for inclusive business, services, and events near you. Gayther Affinity is committed to safeguarding its users. Through a closed network where user registration is required and enforcing block/report policies and functions to stop online abuse. Signup for your free Affinity account today.
DISCOVER WHICH COUNTRIES LEGALLY RECOGNISE GENDER IDENTITIES...
Gender and body dysmorphia affects many people each year. Many will feel trapped in the wrong body and look to transform their outer appearance to reflect their inner self. For those going through their transition, it is often a challenge and lengthy process. Discover how each country around the world legally acknowledges and treats gender identities
EXCEPTIONAL PEOPLE MAKING HISTORY
(literal translations for popular languages)