A gay individual can be defined as male, within the spectrum or non-binary; however, they will typically be assigned male at birth. Gay men are physically, emotionally and/or sexually attracted to individuals from the same gender/sex (male-male). The term gay is also used to describe people who identify as LGBTQIA+ and is not exclusively used concerning gay men. The word gay means happy and a rascal and was used by the LGBTQIA+ community in the 20th century to communicate their sexuality in public without being exposed. The medical term relating to gay people is a homosexual male.
Other associated sexual identifiers:
- Same-Gender Loving – see same-gender-loving
- Men experiencing sexual attraction or desire for the same sex or gender (male-male)
- The clinical or medical term is a homosexual male
- Gay is also used as an umbrella term for the LGBTQIA+ community
- Without an official census, conservative estimates predict that under 1% of men around the world identify as Gay; however, some estimates are as high as 10%
- The word Gay originally was an English term that meant joyful, carefree, bright and showy. The name was later used for homosexual men as a way of communicating their sexuality in code
- According to Canadian researchers, men with older brothers are three times more likely to be gay than those with no older brothers, which resulted in the term the ‘big brother effect.’
- Billy Haines was the first movie actor who was publicly and openly gay in 1933
- In the 1950s, the LGBT community tried to change the term ‘homosexual’ to ‘homophile’, to emphasise same-gender love rather than sex
EXCEPTIONAL AND DIVERSE LGBTQIA+ COMMUNITY
Stonewall Riots AnniversaryYearly
International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and BiphobiaYearly
LGBTQIA+ COUNTRY & REGION GUIDES
Learn more about this or other countries around the world. With over 234 country and 435 regional guides, Gayther guides provides you with all the information you need when planning your trip. From LGBTQIA+ equality to essential travel information, discover Gayther guides today
Click on the IOS or Android link to access the app
Click on the name of the resource visit the site
DISCOVER HOW WELL THE COMMUNITY ARE TREATED..
Cancel Culture: Is this the age of trial by media?
The online revolution over the past forty years has brought about many positive and innovative solutions. It has changed the way we live our lives, fr
Top tips for arranging the perfect gay wedding or union
Today 34.3% or 69.6 million LGBTQIA+ individuals live in countries that legally recognise some form of same-sex marriage or union. With so many now ab
LGBTQIA+ Pride: Why is little known about asexuality?
Whenever people are asked to define asexuality, the reply is often far from the truth. Many personal beliefs and understandings are more myths and leg
DISCOVER WHICH COUNTRIES LEGALLY RECOGNISE GENDER IDENTITIES...
Gender and body dysmorphia affects many people each year. Many will feel trapped in the wrong body and look to transform their outer appearance to reflect their inner self. For those going through their transition, it is often a challenge and lengthy process. Discover how each country around the world legally acknowledges and treats gender identities
EXCEPTIONAL PEOPLE MAKING HISTORY
Gayther...your community resources
Three dedicated websites offer various tools, services, guides, and much more. Free tools and services tailored toward all groups within the global LGBTQIA+ community
DISCOVER THE GAYTHER INTERACTIVE SITEMAP TOOL
- Click on the icon found in the header or at the top of every page
- Once you have clicked the icon the full screen menu will appear
- All you need to do is to click each of the options which best suit your requirements
Please sit back, relax and let us help you find what you are looking for quickly and easily