From an LGBTQIA+ perspective, currently, 71 countries still have laws in place which criminalise same-sex relationships, and 13 countries impose the death penalty if prosecuted. LGBTQIA+ individuals at risk of imprisonment or death can request asylum due to sexual or gender persecution. In 2021, it was estimated that there would be over 79.5 million refugees worldwide.
- Forced to leave their homes or countries
- Remaining or returning to their homes would likely result in imprisonment or loss of life
- Asylum is the process whereby a refugee obtains citizenship from another safer or less hostile country
- According to the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR), over 79.5 million people around the world have been forced to flee their homes, with about 33% under the age of 18
- The number of LGBTQIA+ individuals claiming asylum is not officially recorded or published; however, according to the UNHCR, they have seen an increase in cases relating to fear of persecution due to gender identity or sexual orientation
- The number of LGBTQIA+ refugees and those emigrating to escape persecution has increased, with many coming from countries such as Iran, Iraq, Jamaica, Pakistan, Brazil and Saudi Arabia
- Canada, Britain, the United States and countries within the European Union are all popular destinations for LGBT refugees escaping persecution
- Any members of the LGBTQIA+ community can claim asylum as “members of a particular social group” where they fear persecution or harm should they return to the country in which they reside
Discover more about refugees, from interesting statistics, categories and much more
EXCEPTIONAL AND DIVERSE LGBTQIA+ COMMUNITY
LGBTQIA+ COUNTRY & REGION GUIDES
Learn more about this or other countries around the world. With over 234 country and 435 regional guides, Gayther guides provides you with all the information you need when planning your trip. From LGBTQIA+ equality to essential travel information, discover Gayther guides today
Click on the IOS or Android link to access the app
Click on the name of the resource visit the site
DISCOVER HOW WELL THE COMMUNITY ARE TREATED..
Gayther Affinity is a private platform for the LGBTQIA+ community and their friends. A space that gives you the freedom to be yourself, helping you communicate with and connect to people similar to yourself from around the world and from all age groups and backgrounds. Get involved with groups discussions, ask questions or quickly search for inclusive business, services, and events near you. Gayther Affinity is committed to safeguarding its users. Through a closed network where user registration is required and enforcing block/report policies and functions to stop online abuse. Signup for your free Affinity account today.
DISCOVER WHICH COUNTRIES LEGALLY RECOGNISE GENDER IDENTITIES...
Gender and body dysmorphia affects many people each year. Many will feel trapped in the wrong body and look to transform their outer appearance to reflect their inner self. For those going through their transition, it is often a challenge and lengthy process. Discover how each country around the world legally acknowledges and treats gender identities